Windwos 8 and GPO Deployed TCP/IP Printers

GPOPrinters

We were having some issues with GPO deployed TCP/IP printers and Windows 8. It would seem that all the printers got pushed out but they all got pushed out with the same port IP_2.0.0.0 which used a IP of 2.0.0.0. Obviously this was not the IP of the printers.

To solve this issue I change the GPO settings from a DNS name to an IP address. I changed the Action setting also to replace to “Replace” to replace any settings the user might currently have. So far this is a band-aid solution that will work until Microsoft fixes the issue of why we cannot use a DNS name to reference the Printer.

After you update the GPO save it and run “gpupdate /force” on a test machine to make sure it gets pulled down properly.


Signature
© Caspan 2013